Thursday, January 3, 2013

China, here I come!!

Hey everyone!

I've always wanted to start a blog and my upcoming semester abroad in China is the perfect opportunity to finally get started!  So... here we go!!

I am a junior (who knew college fly so fast?!) studying Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University and just about to start a semester at Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU).  My adventure started this morning with a flight from my home in Texas up to Chicago.  Only 8 degrees in the Windy City!!  I met up with a couple of friends who are also traveling abroad this next semester (Kristy and Kathleen with me to Shanghai, Allie to New Zealand) and our wonderful friend, Jessica, who's been introducing us to the Chinese culture and language.  Kristy, Jessica, Kathleen and I stayed up late in our hotel room reviewing common Chinese phrases and picking Chinese names.  SO much to learn!

My new Chinese name! "Kai lin" means "princess."

Here are some more pictures from yesterday!

 Baba dropping me off at the Houston airport!

 Art at O'Hare!

 One last American meal...

 Left to right: Jessica, Kristy, Allie and me!

 Pretty lights on the Chicago river.

 FINALLY got to see some snow!  Maybe there will be more in China??

A little bit of Chicago elegance to compare to what we find in Shanghai.
 
Spring 2013 brings so many challenges along with some amazing opportunities to learn more about myself and the world around me.  It's hard to grasp the true impact of this semester... I probably won't fully understand until I'm back in the U.S. (mid-May, btw).  I can't wait to (attempt to) blend in with the vibrant Chinese culture.

Well, we need to be at the airport early tomorrow, so I'm signing off!  Got a 14 hour flight tomorrow... that'll put us in Shanghai by noon-ish on Friday.  I've never been on a long flight before (previous record is 5-ish hours), so it should be interesting!   More pictures and stories to come!!

Talk to you soon!
房凱琳
(Fang Kai Lin)

2 comments:

  1. So now your name is Chinese... Goodness your world is changing ;) I can't wait to see what else you post!!!! I love you so much :)))

    Your loving little sis,
    Sarah <3

    ReplyDelete